St Joseph School
In 1875 a school was started next to St. Joseph Church with one lay teacher. It lasted for a little less than 3 years. During the pastorate of Father Cashman, OFM (about 1951) a school was constructed and dedicated on September 8, 1955. Staffed by the Franciscan Sisters of Our Lady of Perpetual Help from St. Louis, the school had an enrollment that year of 77 students. A convent was completed for the sisters in August 1960. Through the efforts of Father Remy Stiglitz, additional classrooms were added to the school in 1965. The most recent addition was made in 1991 with the completion of the gymnasium. With the 1990-91 school year, the Franciscan sisters were recalled by their religious order and a lay staff was secured. Enrollment in 1993 was 200 students from pre-school through eighth grade. St. Joseph school closed in 2004.