History of St. Joseph Catholic Church
St. Joseph Catholic Church, Bastrop, LA has a very colorful past dating back to 1859. The earliest existing record was of 3 baptisms performed before there ever was a church. The first building for St. Joseph Church was begun in November 1870. Many priest, too many to name, from the Monroe and Rayville area served the little mission.
In 1940 the Bastrop Mission was given to the Franciscan Fathers of West Monroe. The congregation grew and in July 1943 Bastrop was elevated as a New Mission Center.
In July 1944 a second priest was assigned to Bastrop to care for the African American Community. Our Lady Help Of Christians Church was established March 11, 1945 as a mission of St. Joseph. In 1974 OLHC became a parish. The congregation of OLHC was consolidated into the parish of St. Joseph effective September 1, 1993.
The present St. Joseph Church was built and dedicated on the 23rd of November 1952. At that time St. Joseph was a part of the Diocese of Alexandria.